Wednesday 25 November 2009

Switched to Opera Mail and Gmail...

Until now I managed all my e-mail with Thunderbird and our corporate e-mail server, but the searches were too slow, it was tedious to access the server from outside the company and the space in the server was a bit limited, so today I decided to switch...

And I went for Opera (with its integrated Opera Mail client) and Gmail. So all my mails are stored (after transferring about 8000 mails) in Gmail servers (although keeping my corporate e-mail address), and I use Opera Mail to access them (though I could use the Gmail web interface if I ever need to). The main reason to switch to Opera Mail is that it does away with folders, and it has the concept of views (searches in the Inbox, so mails can end up in different views, which is very convenient: similar to storing bookmarks with folders vs. storing them in something like del.icio.us where you assign tags to each bookmark). This way I find that I save a lot of time since I don't have to be careful about filing messages, and the searching capabilities of Opera Mail are very good. So far I have been using the new setting only a few hours, but I'm pretty convinced that I'm not going back...

No comments: