Thursday 19 November 2009

Turning my netbook into a music partner...

Recently I bought an Acer AS1810T netbook, and I have decided to tune it so that it can become a music partner (artificial accompaniments for when no human partner is around :-)). I just started toying with Ubuntu Studio, but some things didn't quite work. I will persevere and will post here about my progress...

...

and the whole thing was a lot easier than I thought. Basically I went first for a Ubuntu 9.10 (x86_64) install. Almost everything worked out-of-the-box (sound, wifi, webcam...). And after that I just consulted this guide, which just involves downloading loads of stuff, adding myself to the audio group and modifying the file limits.conf

Then, I installed Rosegarden and then I changed a line in the file /etc/default/grub (and then run update-grub as root):
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 becomes # GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 (so that I have the option of selecting the Real Time kernel, otherwise it goes into normal kernel and Rosegarden and friends will not work OK).

Then configure QSynth to include the soundfonts available at /usr/share/sounds/sf2

And at last I run Jack, QSynth, and Rosegarden, and I can get to play beatifully (and with no Xruns) a basic MIDI file. Good stuff....

(By the way, I also get GNU Solfege, a great aid in training my ear for the quickly approaching music exams...)

No comments: